How to Prepare Groundnut Soup (aka peanut soup)

Preparation of delicious food, Anything about food

18 people like this topic, 18 people dislike this topic

3direct

How to Prepare Groundnut Soup (aka peanut soup)

Postby 3direct » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:43 pm

Groundnut Soup (aka peanut soup)   This one has been on my mind for a while now. I first came across this dish at a popular Nigerian restaurant in Victoria Island Lagos. It was under the “West African Dishes” menu. Groundnut soup? I was intrigued. Did a bit of research and found it to be quite popular in Northern Nigeria and many neighbouring countries as either a soup or a stew. So, I decided to venture into the land of groundnut (peanut) soup (stew).
3-groundut soup_WM2-groundut soup_WM
6-groundut soup_WM5-groundut soup_WM
3-groundut soup_WM.

2-groundut soup_WM

6-groundut soup_WM

5-groundut soup_WM

Ingredients

½ kg large shrimp (or other protein of choice totally optional)

¼ kg dry smoked fish (optional)

¼ kg Stock fish (optional)

1 cup groundnut/peanut butter (grind 2 cups of nuts)

¼ kg chopped efo or spinach leaves

1 medium red onion ( chopped)

2 habanero (alternatively 1 tbs dry chilli pepper)

2 tbs ground crayfish

4 cloves of garlic (minced)

2 tbs tomato paste

1 tbs ntong (aka efinrin or scent leaf alternatively fresh basil) chopped

5-6 Okra stems

2 tbs palm oil

8 oz water

1 stock cubes

Salt to taste

Preparation

Clean and wash the stock and smoked fish in hot water with salt. (tip: soak stock fish in salt water for up to 24 hours to help reduce the smell it creates when cooking)

Add stock and smoked fish to a cooking pot along with water, chopped peppers, onion, garlic, ntong, stock cubes, and salt and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat

Add in the tomato paste, groundnut/peanut butter and gently fold into the soup. It will begin to thicken and cook for another 3-5 minutes

Rough chop and add in the greens (efo or spinach), okra and cook for 2-3 minutes max then remove from heat

Serve with boiled rice, boiled yam or potatoes or African starch (eba, pounded yam, semolina, farina, wheat)

Making groundnut/peanut butter/paste Place 2 cups of ground groundnut/peanuts in a food processor and ground until chunky or smooth (as you prefer).

http://www.mybelledonfull.com/2014/08/08/groundnut-soup-aka-peanut-soup/

Return to “Food”